<$BlogMetaData$>

Refuge for a Single Mom

Every Single Mom Needs a Refuge. This is Mine. In the Natural Atleast!
* A Blog Dedicated to Struggling & Hurting Moms of Every Walk of Life.

As for God, His way is blameless; The word of the LORD is tried; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.
Psalm 18:30

Friday, May 4, 2007

John Newton & Amazing Grace

Grace: “The freely given, unmerited favor and love of God.”
(According to: Dictionary.com)

“Amazing Grace” is seriously one of my favorite hymns.  I`ve sung it to both of my children (when they were too little to offer their opinions on my singing talents or lack thereof) and there is just something so deep-down, spiritual about “Amazing Grace” on bagpipes!  -Don`t you think?

Well, color me surprised when our Women`s Study group listened to a story about the life of `John Newton`.  He`s the fella that wrote “Amazing Grace”.  This is a pretty powerful and interesting story.  I thought it would be fun to share!

John Newton (1725 – 1807), was the son of a merchant ship commander.  He began a life at sea at the age of 11.  On March 4, 1744, he was press ganged (to force (men) into the army or navy) into service as a seaman on the man-of-war, the H. M. S. Harwich.

Meanwhile, he was in terribly in love with this gal, Mary Catlett.  Although they loved one another very much, she refused to marry him because he was not a believer.

Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?  II Corinthians 6:14

While on the H. M. S. Harwich he longed to be back on land and with Mary.  He even deserted at one point, only to be captured and publicly flogged.  It was then, that he was demoted from midshipman to common seaman.  He ended up serving on a slave trading ship and was even abused himself.

He was gone for a long time, but Mary waited for him.  During one of his trips, he was caught in a terrible hurricane.  It didn`t take him long to finally seek the refuge of God.  He finally made his way back to England and found Mary.  They were married.  He even ended up becoming a minister!  Somewhere along the line, he wrote “Amazing Grace”.

His life and trials are truly remarkable and obviously, this is a gross overview!  (I was never very good at book reports either!)

For those of you that love to read and learn, here are some more detailed stories about John Newton.  I encourage you to read more.  This is truly a great testimony to the deliverance that God has to offer even the most lost of His children!

Wikipedia: John Newton

The Cowper and Newton Museum: John Newton

Amazing Grace: The Story of John Newton

Amazing Grace, The Story of John Newton, Author of America's Favorite Hymn


Amazing grace! (how sweet the sound)
That sav`d a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

`Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears reliev`d;
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believ`d!

Thro` many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
`Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promis`d good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call`d me here below,
Will be forever mine.

Labels:

posted by The Single Mom at 12:01 AM

1 Comments:

I love that hymn...absolutely beautiful and one of my favorites too. ;)

May 4, 2007 at 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

< Home>