<$BlogMetaData$>

Refuge for a Single Mom

Every Single Mom Needs a Refuge. This is Mine. In the Natural Atleast!
* A Blog Dedicated to Struggling & Hurting Moms of Every Walk of Life.

As for God, His way is blameless; The word of the LORD is tried; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.
Psalm 18:30

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

A Day to Remember

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.  Isaiah 40:31

This morning, I had my whole blog thought out, typed up and ready to go.  As I went to label and save it, I realized that today is May 1st.  There are a lot of great things about the first day in May.  It becomes a little more evident that Spring is here and Summer is near.  It`s also a new month, full of new hope and promise!

Around our house however, it is a rough day emotionally.  Today would have been my Grandmother`s birthday.

I considered using the blog that was done and ready, but then I got to thinking about this incredible woman, about the incredible daughter she had that I know as “Mom”, and the important roles these women have played in my life.  I wanted to pay tribute to Grandma and share a bit about her!

Once upon a time...my Gramdma divorced my Pappy because he was having an affair with her best friend.  She had to take on several jobs to support her daughters and my Mom was left to raise my Aunt.  Nowadays, this is a pretty common thing, but then, it was pretty rare!  Grandma didn`t let that phase her.  She did what she had to and she did a fantastic job.  She didn`t moan and groan and complain about it or get bitter either!  She just stood up straight and moved forward.

Well, moving along to the things I actually remember about Grandma - I`m the oldest grandchild, but I only remember bits and pieces now.  I`m trying to reminisce as much as possible and hang on to the memories, because my brother and cousins remember even less!

A real `hoot` for me was when she would take me to work with her.  It`s so funny now, because with insurance stipulations and guidelines, I`m sure that would never happen today!  I used to spend the night with her all the time.  That was also a real treat for me, because Grandma lived in `town`.  I grew up in the country (and I like it that way) so getting to stay in town and play with the kids in her neighborhood totally rocked!  I read somewhere just this morning about staying out late and playing “Hide & Seek” in the dark.  That was the best!

Later on, when my brother and cousins came along, we all used to go to the lake.  This was one of Grandma`s favorite things to do.  She would take a bunch of food and just sit and watch us play for hours on end.

Grandma bought this piece of property (10 acres) in the middle of nowhere.  She used to drag everyone out there for family outings.  We used to eat a lot of food, play ball and throw horseshoes all day long!  It was always important to her to have family around and to spend time together!  She was one of those people that `made up` occasions if she had to!

Not too long after that, Grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Initially, she kept trying to live life the way she was accustomed, but it became harder and harder.  She was in more and more pain and the cancer continued to spread.

My Mom got on as her substitute so that Grandma could get the time off from work that she needed for doctor`s appointments and such.  Mom still has that job today!  Perhaps a part of her is `at home` doing the same job that her Mother did over 20 years ago?

As Grandma got worse and became bed-ridden, I moved in with her and tried to help take care of her.  (I was 16 at the time.)  I have to admit, looking back, I really hated doing it.  There wasn`t too much about it that was advantageous for me.  I couldn`t hang out with my friends or go anywhere.  The worst part of all was that her new husband was a real pill.  He used to treat me so poorly!  However, I really did want to help Grandma and take care of her.  She needed someone so badly and she was so appreciative.  I can still hear her apologizing because I was the child and she should be taking care of me – not the other way around.

After fighting this miserable disease for 11 years, Grandma died when I was 17.  One of the last things she said to my Mom was that she was tired and done fighting - that she was ready to go home to be with her Lord!  How amazing is that?

Well, even today, I still miss her so much.  I think about how much she`d love my kids!  I often wonder if she`d be proud of me.

So, although I miss Grandma very much and I know that my Mom does too, we have to find comfort in the fact that she is with her Heavenly Father now.  She is no longer in pain and she is walking!  She is no longer affected by the sickness and disease of this worldly life!


Breast Cancer Awareness month is October, but I encourage everyone to be informed!  Read the information available to you!  Know what to look for!  Go for regular testing and screening!  Early detection is everything!

Finally, if you feel so inclined, while you are there, contribute to the cause and help to find a cure!


National Breast Cancer Foundation

Labels: , ,

posted by The Single Mom at 12:01 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

< Home>