<$BlogMetaData$>

Refuge for a Single Mom

Every Single Mom Needs a Refuge. This is Mine. In the Natural Atleast!
* A Blog Dedicated to Struggling & Hurting Moms of Every Walk of Life.

As for God, His way is blameless; The word of the LORD is tried; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him.
Psalm 18:30

Monday, April 16, 2007

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes

Well, speaking of learning things, something has really been weighing on my heart and it fits so perfectly with talking of forgiveness, judgment (or not judging), tolerance, etc.

In our church, there are some women, a `click` if you will.  For a long time, I felt so alienated and unappreciated!  I worked very hard last year with our youth program, dedicating time and money I really didn`t have.  But I chose to do it because I felt that God led me to and I knew that no one else was volunteering.

Despite the love and appreciation from the pastor and his wife, I was absolutely struggling and by the end of this experience, I was ready to quit the church.  Even some really good friends encouraged me to start `church shopping` again!

I just couldn`t do it.  I felt a bond with this little church and I felt that if I didn`t overcome my anger, disheartenment, bitterness and hurt feelings – who was ever going to help them?  Help me?  Maybe they needed a good example?  Maybe I needed to learn something?

They`d spent so much time feuding and bickering amongst themselves!  What if I could overcome my obstacles, by the grace of God, and show them ALL love and kindness.  What if I was excited about my place there!  And hey, if it didn`t work, I spent my time glorifying the King instead of being a part of the problem – right?

12 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead,
14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you;
16 however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.  Philippians 3:12-16


Well, I have seen some incredible changes!  (In all of us!)

I find that these ladies are hugging me and confiding in me, coveting my prayers and not only inviting me to women`s meetings and Bible studies, but nominating me for offices!

Now, don`t get me wrong, I know that the only way I can do any good here is by the power and strength of God!

Without Him, I am totally incapable of most things, especially something like this!  Normally, I am a very sensitive, defensive type of person and my feelings get hurt easily!  -God is truly working on this!

Around Christmas I just decided to dig my heels in.  My kids love this church; their Sunday School teachers and the pastor embrace them both with a love and kindness truly inspired by God!  I knew that I would be hard pressed to find that for them anywhere else!  I knew they would get the most here and grow closer to God!

So, what about me?  I had to choose between going to church and being miserable and neglected, or change myself and be part of the solution!  -It has been an amazing transformation!

Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you.  I Timothy 4:16

Something I`m learning about these people, myself and life in general is this . . . before you cast judgment or form an opinion about someone, walk that mile in their shoes!

You will find that some of these people have suffered incredible losses, they`ve lost children, husbands, they`ve experienced bitter divorces, they have children that constantly battle the legal system and neglect their families, they have children and grandchildren suffering the effects of divorce and drug/alcohol abuse, they`ve been raped and abused, neglected by their parents, abused by their husbands . . . whatever their reasons and whether they be justified, they simply may need what you can give!  (What our Almighty Lord and Savior wishes to deliver to them, through you!)  Your listening ear, your prayers, your sensitivity, your encouraging words, a hug, or perhaps something as simple as a smile!

I encourage you Sisters, stop being selfish (as I was), stop trying to do it alone, seek the guidance of our Heavenly Father and be a part of the solution!  NOT part of the problem!

32 But remember the former days, when, after being enlightened, you endured a great conflict of sufferings,
33 partly by being made a public spectacle through reproaches and tribulations, and partly by becoming sharers with those who were so treated.
34 For you showed sympathy to the prisoners and accepted joyfully the seizure of your property, knowing that you have for yourselves a better possession and a lasting one.
35 Therefore, do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.
36 For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.  Hebrews 10:32-36

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by The Single Mom at 12:01 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

< Home>